JOB TITLE: Loan Officer
REPORTS TO: Branch Manager
Responsible for originating new residential loans to clients in the areas we service. Represents the Company to the community through active participation in community affairs and participates in marketing all of the Company’s products and services. Results and services of position may have a significant impact on the Company in terms of quality, time frame, costs or service including public image.
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs all duties in compliance with internal procedures and external regulations. Is responsible for bringing compliance issues to the attention of management.
- Expectations of all Bank Employees include:
- Maintaining a positive and respectful approach/outlook with both internal and external contacts. Provide service with a smile.
- Communicating regularly with Management regarding departmental/ bank issues or questions. Seeking assistance when needed.
- Demonstrating flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Consistently reporting to work on time, dressed professionally and prepared to perform duties of the position.
- Meeting department and banking standards.
- Working collaboratively in all facets of position to meet job requirements and support organizational goals.
- Successfully completing regulatory training requirements within required timeframes – on-line.
- Conforming to all safety rules and use of all equipment in an appropriate and safe manner.
- Monitor the existing residential portfolio to ensure proper risk ratings and early identification of potential problems.
- Respond to questions from existing and prospective borrowers, assess needs, present any array of products and services, and close sales. This includes having a solid understanding of the loan programs and how it may benefit the borrower.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains Company security through identification of borrowers and documents following Federal, States and Company procedures and guidelines to ensure safekeeping of bank and borrower assets. Maintains confidentiality of the Company’s borrower information, borrower loans, and Company’s policies and procedures.
- Resolves service problems or answers to questions, in person, mail or via telephone to ensure customer satisfaction. This includes existing and new brokers. Requires research an analysis to determine appropriate approach to a complex situation. Reviews recommendations that have been researched and analyzed with others. Consults with Supervisor, when necessary.
- Coordinates work flow with other departments and external agencies. Requires extensive ongoing coordination and team problem solving between departments.
- Reviews residential lending reports and directs the resolution of residential lending issues to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Keeps informed of new and current Company products and services and other information that may be of interest to borrowers. Support the Company’s strong relationship culture through on-going borrower contact, quality borrower service and superior product knowledge. Learn about and utilize marketing programs and promotional activities available to stay in touch with the borrowers after closing.
- Knowledge of current regulatory requirements including but not limited to RESPA Reg Z, MDIA, etc.
- Participates in the local community through attending events and/or participation in associations and organizations. This brings recognition to self and Company.
- Performs administrative activities with position, including compiling, storing, and retrieving data for records. Produces correspondence, memos, charts, tables, and reports etc. on a daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis. Maintains the highest level of ethics and morals with borrowers’ best interest in mind. Complies with federal, state, and local regulations. Takes classes necessary to always have the knowledge of these requirements.
- Communicates on a regular basis with the title companies, realtors, financial advisors and accountants – external providers who are involved in the lending process. Seeks new business and referrals. Develop strong sales skills by attending work shops, seminars, etc. to increase your sales skills.
- Performs all other related duties, as assigned. May be requested to assist with special projects from time to time.
Minimum Qualifications (Industry, Work Experience and/or Education):
Requires two to five years experience in a related position of a company or mortgage company. Previous lending experience required and customer service experience required. Secondary marketing experience desired
- Word Processing (MS Word)
- Spreadsheets (Excel)
- Front-end residential lending application
- Internet-ability to research
- Form Document software
- Encompass knowledge a plus
License, Registration, or Certifications:
- NMLS License
- Valid state Driver’s License
Success Factors – Personal characteristics that contribute to an individual’s ability to excel on the job (not a guarantee):
- Should be customer-service driven. Position requires demonstrative poise, tact and diplomacy along with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Requires and ability to work with numbers and mathematical concepts (adding, subtracting, decimals, percentages, etc.) on a regular basis.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Strong attention to detail and well organized.
- Ability to retain focused for long periods of time.
- Must have excellent telephone etiquette and verbal communication skills.
- Strong computer Skills.
- Professional appearance.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
- Excellent writing/reasoning skills.
- Ability to work in both team environment and independently.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands/fingers; and reach with hands and arms. Employee must be able to remain in work area for several hours at a time. The employee occasionally lifts and/or moves up to ten (10) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. It also requires manual dexterity in combination of eye / hand coordination.
Position does not entail predictable or unpredictable exposure to blood.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time. Advanced notice may not always be possible.